Newest posts are first. Scroll down on the right to see a list of Archive posts and also subject posts.

Monday, July 28, 2008

Hydrangea macrophylla normalis

First off, did anyone know what this post was about from the title? hehe
This is a picture of my Lacecap Hydrangea. I used my flash because it wasn't quite daylight out yet.
Now there's a couple of odd things here, do any of my readers know them?
Okay, I'll tell you.
First, Lacecaps aren't hardy this far north. They are for zones 6-9, and I'm barely a zone 5. But I got this as a present, and decided to put it in the yard, figuring if it dies, I would have thrown it out anyway.
Second, as with most Hydrangeas they bloom on 'old' wood, which means, last years growth. This is blooming on new wood.
And finally, as with most Hydrangeas, the color of the flower is either blue or pink, not both, which is determined by the acidity of the soil. And I got both on the same flower!
So, I feel blessed with this rare little treat!

Also, I did get the PT Cruiser washed, waxed, and detailed. And burned up a pile of branches from June's storms. And tomorrow...........Craig's delicious low fat Creamy Potato Salad recipe!

8 comments:

  1. My maternal grandmother grew these in her yard. I've seen some in our area. I just faintly recalled her saying that the color was dependent upon what was in the soil. You just cleared up some things for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:55 AM

    I knew it was a flower. Remember Granny had them in her back yard? :)
    It is neat you have both colors. I remember hers being mostly blue. :)

    *hugs*

    Sis

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! That is so cool Wayne!

    I CANNOT wait for that recipe! Especially if it's that yummy cause then maybe Bruce will eat it AND like it! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cool thing about you is that you actually 'do' stop to smell the flowers! Pink and blue, maybe that plant has gender identity issues! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, I knew it was a lacecap from the title.
    Oakleaf Hydrangeas are my favorite, but lacecaps are a close second!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:07 PM

    I love hydrangeas, but I had never seen one that is both blue and pink! I love the variety of plants and flowers that you have in your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:22 PM

    In the south, we see a lot of Hydrangeas but never pink and blue on the same plant. Craig and I have white hydrangeas with a slight green tint. I hope they stay that color as it's rather unusual.

    We made it back home today from our 3,500 mile Canada trip. Again, it was great meeting you guys!
    M and C

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, love hydrangeas! That is so cool that you got both colors on one plant. That is a beautiful picture.

    ReplyDelete