Newest posts are first. Scroll down on the right to see a list of Archive posts and also subject posts.

Monday, April 18, 2011

it's still not over.....

Good afternoon. We're back! Yep! We've just returned from our first mo-ho trip of the season. It was a short 100 mile trip over to Lake Michigan and Holland State Park. And I must say, it was some of the worst weather we've had for our first trip in the 6 years we've been doing this. Friday afternoon, we left with gusty winds. Fortunately, the wind was at our back, so it wasn't a big deal. Saturday, we had wind and a cold rain, all day long. Sunday, was cold, windy, reaching a high of only 46, but at least the sun came our and it looked nice from inside. And here's a pic from the inside. :-) Monday, we awoke to 2 inches of snow on the ground. It's very unusual to get snow this late, though it has happened. It's been a very cold spring here in Michigan. But, we arrived there safe, and returned home safe. Everything functioned properly, and we still enjoyed getting away and using the mo-ho. Friday after we arrived and got set up, we ran back into town for our traditional first trip meal, KFC, original recipe. Damn that chicken's good! We relaxed in the mo-ho with cocktails and DVD's. A total of 8 brave souls camped here that weekend. Of course, none were tents. :-) Saturday, with crappy cold wind and rain, we ventured over to Michigan's newest casino, the Gun Lake Casino. We spent a few hours leaving our contribution for their continued prosperity. We then stopped at a local bar and grill for lunch. Back at the mo-ho, was computer games, and DVD time with chicken kielbasa's stuffed with spinach and mozzarella cheese. We re-watched battle L.A. Sunday, we met my brother Bruce with his son Ben and friend Tammy, and another brother Brian and his wife Ruth for breakfast in downtown Holland. I don't see my brothers very often, and we had a nice visit. From there, we drove a short 12 miles south to Saugatuck, where we did a little shopping, stocking up on various cooking marinades. Back at the campsite, we decided with the snowy forecast, we'd hook up the car caddy and load the car. Our site was just long enough to do it. We also managed to take a nice walk around the campground, as the dunes helped to diffuse the cold wind. For dinner, we pan fried some pork cutlets, as it wasn't very pleasant out side to grill, and we used a marinade we bought in Saugatuck called Wasabi ginger sauce. It was very tasty. And we watched 10,000 B.C. And it's a good thing we loaded up the car Sunday, because this morning.........

2 inches of that nasty stuff!
I typed this this morning at our campsite while Craig got his beauty rest. With iffy roads this morning, we didn't want to leave to early and be in any rush hour traffic. fortunately, all the roads were just wet and we got home just fine.

So despite the crappy weather, we managed to enjoy ourselves as we usually do. :-)


  1. Holy smokes. It's a good thing you boys are tough people.....

  2. That first photo I thought you were the only ones there. ;)
    Crazy weather.
    Glad you had a good trip though and got home safely!

  3. Anonymous9:55 AM

    Like they say, it's better to have a crappy day camping than a good day at work! LOL!

    A snowy evening nestled in a warm toasty motorhome seems romantic. :o)


  4. You guys always seem to have a good time, and that's what counts! The snow looks like more of a fun adventure than anything serious, thankfully. A good memory.

  5. I'm envious of your first moho trip of the season even if the weather lacked. We're going on vacay in June to Asheville in the RV. I'm excited.