Newest posts are first. Scroll down on the right to see a list of Archive posts and also subject posts.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

New, flat panel, Tv tech tip

Good morning.
After 3 days of thinking, measuring, contemplating, sawing, sanding, screwing, and assembling, I finally have finished the build out of the new mo-ho TV.  :-)
The mo-ho came with a huge 27 inch TV mounted in a cabinet at the roof, between the front seats.

I've always disliked having to look up to watch TV. So after 5 years, I finally decided to do something.
And this is the new configuration. I didn't want to take everything out, and build a whole new cabinet, because I didn't want the new TV up at the roof. I wanted it at a better viewing angle. But I did want it to look like it belonged there. So, first off, After removing the old heavy monster, I attached a telescoping wall mount.
Normally a wall mount would allow you to pull the TV out and swivel it, so I attached it sideways to the base of the cabinet, so it could come out and lower, or lift.
Then I attached the mounting arms for the new TV.
With that done,I mounted the TV. But it didn't work the way I planned. With the mounting bracket able to swivel, the weight of the TV caused it to tilt toward the floor. To correct that issue, I attached a bungee cord across the bottom of the cabinet, hooked 2 s-hooks to the cord, stretched the cord and hooked the s-hook to the arms of the mounting bracket.
Then I added 2 more bungee cords to the bracket and secured them to the back of the cabinet floor for added stability.
I made folding doors for the middle of the cabinet. One, for access to the cabinet, and 2, I need space for the bracket to rise when I lifted the TV to put it in it's stored position for traveling.
To help secure it when it is up, I attached another bungee cord across the top of the cabinet and added 2 s-hooks to help hold the TV in place during travel. That's the other purpose of the black panel at the top. It flips up giving me access to the bungee cord.
One more level of support, If you look closely at the bottom of the TV I put 2 straight brackets out form the bottom of the cabinet, covered them with foam, and black vinyl. They hold the TV up, and the bungee cords hold the TV in place. So it's now easy to use, and very secure. I just unhook the bungee cord from the top, pull the TV out and down, and hook the bottom bungee cord.
And even with  the mounting bracket and cords, there's still room in the back of the cabinet for a couple of shelved, but that will be another, much later project.  ;-)
First, I still have to put on a few coats of satin varnish to match the rest of the cabinets.
And for dinner Craig made a meatless meal. Mushroom filled ravioli topped with a sauce made with spaghetti sauce, with  fried onions peppers,  mushrooms, and chopped up Morningstar Farms Grillers. The Grillers have the closest taste to real meat and are great in sauces.

Now, it's time for another work week, which is looking to be quite busy.

6 comments:

  1. that looks amazing, aND you say you are no carpenter, ha.

    I have the same rug that is in front of your sofa...funny :)

    Meatless meals, yippie .

    have a great day my friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:24 PM

    Wonderful site you have here but I was wanting to know if
    you knew of any user discussion forums that cover the same topics discussed in this article?

    I'd really like to be a part of group where I can get advice from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Cheers!
    My webpage - mcallen web design

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job, Wayne. Congratulations! Hope your week goes well. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The TV project looks great. I want something across from the couch rather than sideways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad this internet thing works and your article really helped me. Might take you up on that home advice you.Fantastic goods from you, man. Thank you very much!!
    Red Sole Shoes|
    Red Bottoms|
    Red Bottoms Shoes
    Oakley Sunglasses|
    Cheap Oakley Sunglasses|
    Cheap Oakley|

    ReplyDelete
  6. flat panel Television: You have really imparted useful tips/ knowledge.

    ReplyDelete