Newest posts are first. Scroll down on the right to see a list of Archive posts and also subject posts.

Saturday, January 19, 2013

waiting for tech support

Good morning.
It's been a fairly busy week at the Salon.
I arrived home on Thursday evening to find I had no Internet .  :-(
I did all the regular things. Restarted my puter, rebooted the modem, rebooted the router, nothing helped. So I pulled the Ethernet cord from the router and plugged it directly into my tower to rule out a bad router. Nothing. 
So I finally called tech support. After 30 minutes on hold,  :-(    I finally got to speak to a real live person.  'Justin' checked everything from his end, and had me do a few things on my end, and still nothing.  So he said he'd send my 'ticket' to the next level, and took my phone number so they could call and let me know what they found.
I get home Friday from work, and find this on my door....
WTF? He never said anything about sending someone out to the house! So, I checked to find still no Internet, and called the number on the card, where miraculously, I got a real person in less than a minute. Apparently they needed to check the box on the back of the garage, and found my backyard gated. I said the latch was on the inside of the gate if they had gone over and just looked. It's only a 3 ft high gate. Anyway, he apologized and set up another time. Someone would be out that afternoon before 6pm. I waited, and sure enough, around 3:30 a tech showed up. But he wanted to come inside and check the modem. I figured it was okay, since his van had the company name on it and so did his shirt. So he came in, did a diagnostic on the phone line, and brought in another modem to try. Still nothing.
He figured it must be something in my windows settings. I said I could fire up my laptop and see if it could get the Internet. He said that would be a good idea. I hooked up the laptop, nothing. No Internet.
He said that was all he could do. He was a field tech sent to just check the line. He gave me a number for advanced dsl help tech, to go through my puters settings and left. I'm thinking, it can't be my puter, cause I've tried 2 different ones, but knew my only course was to call the number.
I got though the menu right away and got a nice guy, Bill. He was confused at first, because the number I called was for field tech support, not customer support. But he decided to help me anyway. He had me run through a number of command prompts on both my desktop and laptop. He surmised there wasn't a problem at my end, and would resend the ticket to the center where he said they may have to switch me to a different port.
Anyway, long story short, I had Internt back by bedtime.  :-)
And with that, I've got to get going for my last day of work this week.

2 comments:

  1. Glad they finally got your problem sorted out, Wayne.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds frustrating. :-(

    ReplyDelete