Newest posts are first. Scroll down on the right to see a list of Archive posts and also subject posts.

Monday, August 12, 2013

28 years latter.

Good morning.
I discovered this in the garden a couple of days ago.

No leaves, just a long stem with these pretty flowers at the top.
I was about to post this and ask if anyone knew what it was, until I read a post over at Dirt Therapy.
It's called a Surprise Lily, as the leaves which supposedly come up in the spring, die back, and in August, (in Michigan) a stem comes up and the flowers bloom.
Craig remembers way back in 1985 when we bought the house, there was one of these at the corner of the house. He said I transplanted it somewhere, but it never came back. Now here it is, 28 years latter, and it's blooming! Crazy huh?
Anyway, it was a very busy work week, and we did walk Friday and Saturday after work. I cleaned the Salon on Sunday morning, as usual, and we walked again. Back home, I washed and waxed a car, and Craig did his usual bookwork and laundry. This morning, it's raining, so I'm letting Craig sleep in and later, we'll do our Monday running around.
That's all I have for now.....

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:19 AM

    I have always known the lily as an August Lily, or a Magic Lily. I have a bunch of them that are the color of lavender.
    Gene in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea they grew that far north!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe it's what many call a 'Naked Lady.' It's a Amaryllis, or more precisely, a Amaryllis belladonna. It's a bulbous plant and it's leaves are produced at a separate time of year than it's blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess it is well named then. It's very pretty.
    Have a good work week, guys!

    ReplyDelete