Newest posts are first. Scroll down on the right to see a list of Archive posts and also subject posts.

Sunday, December 09, 2007

computer maintenance

I'm sure most of you are like me when it comes to computer maintenance, I'll do it tomorrow, maybe. Well, it had been a while since I had defraged my hard drive, so yesterday morning before I went to work, I started the Defrag program. When I got home in the afternoon, it was only 59% complete. Took a total of 10 hours to defrag! Now, I do have a 150 gig hard drive, and it's halve full of stuff. And I can't remember when I last defraged it. So it was definitely time!

If you look at the pic below, you'll see in the bar, blue spaces, (contiguous files) white spaces,(free space) and red spaces,(fragmented files).


Some of you may not even know why you should Defrag you hard drive.
.
Well your in luck! I'll tell you!
.
Every time you surf the Internet, play a game, work on projects, etc., files are saved on the hard drive. After a while files for one project end up all over the hard drive, making you puter work harder finding them all when you want them, slowing the performance of your puter. SO...........by Defraging regularly, all similar files are put together on the hard drive, making every thing run smoother!
You may ask, "how do I defrag my puter"? Easy!
Click on Start, All Programs, Accessories, System tools, Disk Defragmenter.
Then click analyze. It will check your hard drive and show you whether or not you need to Defragment. Do this at a time you will not be using your puter. Any questions? e-mail me.
.

And for a little holiday cheer.........

9 comments:

  1. oh how i hate to do this! but, okay, i will. just not today! ha ha

    smiles, bee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the "headsup" so to speak. I need to do this now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:39 PM

    :)

    *hugs*

    Sis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info on why we should have LESS FRAGMENTS in our lives. I think I'll do mine when we go out to dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes it good to do it while in Safe Mode, too, and to shut down any unnecessary applications, especially those that "interrupt" the processing. Defrag will go much better and quicker in such circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Wayne, I know I haven't visited in a long time...thanks for reminding me to defrag - haven't done it in a long time...funny cartoon!

    Come visit me at Work of the Poet for Manic Monday post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:47 AM

    I totally agree! The less frequently you do it, the longer it takes! Fragmentation is like a toothcavity:), ignore it and its going to grow bigger and be a pain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:51 AM

    yup, computer maintenance is a pain but is necessary. one other simple thing people tend to forget is cleaning out the recycle bin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, I'm hooked on your blog...all those tips will do it every time. I defragged today, more than 10 hours on the laptop. Tomorrow I'll do the desktop, grrr...thank you and ciao

    ReplyDelete