Newest posts are first. Scroll down on the right to see a list of Archive posts and also subject posts.

Saturday, April 05, 2008

A day in the Salon

This post is a conversation I had yesterday with one of my customers.
I believe she is in the early stages of Alzheimer's.
She comes in every week for a shampoo, blo-dry, and curl.
Her Husband brings her in.
This is the conversation we had while I was drying and curling her hair....
her.."did you color my hair?"
me.. " a couple of weeks ago, isn't the color nice?"
her.." I like it!"
me.." I thought you would."
her.."do you work late today?"
me.. "till about 3, I started at 7:30 this morning."
her.. "ohh!"
her.. "did you color my hair?"
me. "a couple of weeks ago, do you like it?"
her.."yes I do!"
me.."I thought you would."
her.."do you work late today?"
me.. "only till 3 today."
her.. "can I get my hair done next week?"
me.. "how about next Friday, same time."
her.. "okay."
her.."did you color my hair?"
me.. I did, a couple of weeks ago. Isn't it nice?"
her.."yes!"
her.. "can I get a standing appointment every week?"
me.."how about every Friday at this same time?"
her.."okay."
And so it goes, every week, just about the same conversation.
After having several customers with Alzheimer's, I've learned how to talk with them. If I ask them a question that makes them think, they'll usually get upset if not able to answer it, so it's best to just go along with what they want to talk about.
Over the years, I've seen lot's of customers afflicted with various diseases. It's then I remind myself how fortunate I am to be healthy. And I can only hope I stay that way.

10 comments:

  1. I sometimes joke about my own mental lapses in terms of this terrible disease, but in truth it is not funny for the families (and others) who must deal on a daily basis with loved ones (and customers) who suffer from it.

    I commend you for your compassion and patience. All too many others would simply give in to the frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:25 AM

    Hope you're having a good day. :)

    *hugs*

    Sis

    ReplyDelete
  3. wayne i LOVE that you are nice to her. thank you from all of us oldies!

    smiles, bee
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. As someone whose grandmother has Alzheimers, I appreciate you treating your customer like she is still a valued human being. I know that her husband must appreciate this - I just hope he tips you accordingly!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:02 PM

    Thank you, Wayne, for sharing this. You could pretty much have the same conversation with my mom. (Most of our conversations include her asking what my name is at least twice.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:48 AM

    You are a good man, Wayne! I know that you must treat all your customers with respect, and I also know that it is not always easy to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kudos for your kindness Wayne. A blessing on your head!
    I suppose you would rather use the comb to upright your sleeping customers head as you work. Why do I do that? No talk please. I just want to enjoy the attention.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's exactly what my grandmother went through when she was in the beginnings of Alzheimer's. She would ask me over and over, "Which child of yours is that?" hehe It was sad but all we could do was joke about it. I mean, it's horrible to watch.

    Wayne, thank you for being so respectful

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:52 PM

    Your beautiful, old soul is showing friend. It is a joy to behold.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:25 AM

    it's interesting how there is so much humor in something so devastating as alzheimers...I know where you are coming from personally and as someone who lost some to it and a person who has had to help crazy customers who probably had it...nice story!

    ReplyDelete