Newest posts are first. Scroll down on the right to see a list of Archive posts and also subject posts.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Mounds State Park

On this trip we stayed at Mounds State Park.
Going thru my pics,
I realized I forgot to take a pic of the campground.
Oh well, It was quite nice. We had a pull through
site. The campground was fairly busy.
I'd say just about half full. It will be
interesting when we go to some of last years
campgrounds to see if high gas prices
are keeping people home.

But anyway,
here's a pic of Craig in front of
the 'Great Mound'. this is the largest
of the 10 Mounds in the park.
They were 'built' about 160 BC.
Basically, they excavated a ditch
around a central area,
and piled the dirt up on the outer rim
creating a semi private central platform
that they're not sure what they used for.
Craig and I were not impressed.







Now it rained for almost the entire 2nd day,
and I mean rain! Are outdoor carpet
was covered with standing water at one point.
And the campground developed a number of small 'lakes'.
So we didn't get to the Zoo,
but managed to see some of the park
in between showers.


The park sits along the White River,
so lots of wild life, and plants.
Look closely, and you'll
see a Great Blue Heron
in one of the pics!
And many wild flowers.















Hope you enjoyed the pics.
I'm done with dividing plants for my sale. Now it's hoping they all 'take'. I have 340 plants potted up. Never thought I'd do that many, but I kept finding more plants I needed to divide. I still have more, but they are now getting to big, and they would suffer a lot of leaf damage trying, but I think I have a real good variety. And last year I had only 230 plants, so I'm hopping for a good sale this year.

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the pictures. It is a beautiful area. That is a really nice picture of you on the wooden bridge/walkway and the setting is gorgeous.

    You were probably not impressed with the mound because you have bigger ones at home from digging up your plants for sale. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking "The Mounds" were kinda silly...so I felt better when you said you and Craig were not impressed. lol It's totally gorgeous though. And a Blue Heron?! COOL!

    Bruce asked me last week if I wanted to go to your sale...so don't be surprised if we show up. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:55 AM

    If the 'mounds' are that old, they have undoubtedly worn down a lot.

    But they are all nice pictures.
    Pretty and relaxing place, I think. :)

    *Hugs*

    Sis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures!
    I love all the GREEN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all looks peaceful and lovely to me Wayne!

    The forest walk looked like it was wonderful, despite the bad weather.

    It is great too hear that you are still able to make of it what you can.

    And WOW over 3oo plants...Hope you have a great sale!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe that it's FINALLY time for you guys to be "on the road again" (just like an old country song.)

    ReplyDelete