Newest posts are first. Scroll down on the right to see a list of Archive posts and also subject posts.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

it's a grass thing

Today, some ornamental grasses for your enjoyment. At least for my readers who also garden.
This grass is just starting to 'flower'. It's a very fine green grass. Very airy. It sits at the corner of the house as you'll see in the next pic.
And this of course is 'fountain' grass. It is about 2 1/2 ft tall and gets these cute bottle brush like 'flowers'. It completely circles a tree in the front yard.
At the end of our driveway, on each side is this massive grass. I think it's called Japanese Silver grass. I divide this grass every year for my plant sale and it just keeps getting bigger.

And below, a favorite of mine, Japanese Blood grass. It starts out all green, and the top slowly turns during the summer. Not a clump forming grass as the others so needs to be confined.
And last, a giant of grasses. I don't know the name of this one either, but it reaches a height of around 12 ft tall! It actually looks like very tall slender corn stalks. Very striking.
I have it planted in the middle of a large bed of perennials and bushes.

Even as fall quickly approaches, there is still interesting things in the yard.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:00 AM

    Lovely. :) Thanks!

    *Hugs*

    Sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great idea for my own yard! Do the grasses do well whether it's hot and dry or cool and wet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. I like the way you have used them. I love the smaller grass surrounding the tree.

    ReplyDelete