Newest posts are first. Scroll down on the right to see a list of Archive posts and also subject posts.

Monday, May 23, 2011

busy day

Good morning.
Yesterday was the hottest day of the year so far. Got all the way up to 84! It was almost too warm! :-)
And it was a very productive day too. I started by cleaning the Salon, then came home and sprayed off the driveway.
Took my shower, woke Craig up, made our coffee and we were off to get various things. We stopped first at Menard's and got a new burner for the grill, and another box of Preen. Then to Lowe's for Miracle Grow potting soil, and plants for some pots.
Then to Meijer for groceries and mulch they had on sale, and a stop at Harbor Freight for a new tank sprayer. Back home, we read the Sunday paper, had some left over pizza from Saturday night for lunch, and then while Craig did his usual bookwork and laundry, I went out and sealed the cracks in the driveway in preparation for next weeks driveway sealing. We had this driveway put in about 23 years ago. The company said at the time, it would last about 15 years. And it is cracking real bad, but every year, I seal the cracks and coat the driveway, and we've been able to make it last a bit longer. I had to use 2 gallons of crack filler this year. Took me over an hour to finish. I'm hoping we can get a few more years out of it. :-)
Then I replaced the burner in the gas grill and gave it a good cleaning. I also scooped out the old soil in our 3 pots I plant, and put new soil and planted the plants. This warm weekend has really got the trees leafing out, and the flowers growing fast. But that will change. The weeks forecast is for us to drop back into the 60's for the rest of the week.
For dinner, I grilled us some chicken legs and thighs and potatoes, and served them with some baked beans.
And here's some more pics of the yard....

Above, a mass planting of Beacon Silver blooming under some pine trees, and below, and pretty little shrub called Dwarf Fothergilla. Aren't the little bottle brush flowers pretty?







Above and below a couple of fern leaf Japanese Maples.



And last, a flowering Crab Apple tree.



4 comments:

  1. Well, you beat us. We haven't passed 72 or 74 this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:03 AM

    Hey Wayne, since you have worked so hard on taking care of the driveway, it would be nice to see a before and after.

    Your plants look so healthy, I'm sure they are glad winter is over!

    Markinwarmsunnypalmsprings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your garden shots as always!
    Anything special you do when you grill your chicken? Like tin foil to keep it from flaring up?
    Hope you're enjoying your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live vicariously thru you. hehe I have a black thumb. Your yard is gorgeous as always and I love the Japanese fern trees!

    ReplyDelete