Newest posts are first. Scroll down on the right to see a list of Archive posts and also subject posts.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

they were enormous!

Good morning.
Another beautiful day yesterday. Overcast, but warm and no rain. :-)
To update my previous post, the fence sections we replaced were part of a split rail fence.

You can see where we replaced 2 posts and 1 new rail. We were able to use the other rails. They were just knocked loose from the posts. You can see also where the fence goes quickly down hill. It ends just before the creek that runs along our property line.

And here's the pic of the car that took out that section of fence.



The back end got hung up on the retaining wall. That's why they had to tow it out. He's lucky he didn't end up down in the creek.


We didn't want to file an insurance claim against the poor guy. He had enough to worry about with being hauled away by the sheriff. He did send us a check to cover the cost of the new posts and rail.



Anyway, I spent a good part of the day weeding and deadheading, and while I was out there, I ran across these enormous moths!



It's called a Cecropia Moth. It's the largest moth in North America. I've lived here all my life and never seen one. They are supposedly nocturnal, coming out only at night, but these 2 were in the middle of the lawn in the middle of the day.


They were hooked together. I wonder why? :-)


And here's a pic of Craig's hand near them so you can see they are as big as his hand!


They were there most of the afternoon.




I also stained 2 sides of the 24 lat boards that we will put on top of the arbor to replace the old rotting ones we removed earlier this year.


Craig spent the day doing laundry, vacuuming, and making ham broth from out frozen ham bone from Easter.


And now, I'm off to do some more staining before I get Craig up.

1 comment:

  1. Woo-who! Moth sex. You're gonna be grandpa's.

    ReplyDelete