Newest posts are first. Scroll down on the right to see a list of Archive posts and also subject posts.

Monday, November 19, 2012

A day with Mom.

Good morning.
Yesterday was beautiful. Sunny, mild and near 60,but I didn't do a think outside. Why? I went to Muskegon to see my Mom.  :-)
We arrived around 9:30, and I helped her with a few things around her apartment. She had e-mailed my sister and brother that they reduced her Social Security by $100 but didn't know why. They asked me to get to the bottom of it if I could. Mom gave me the letter she received, and I figured out the reason.
She used to get help from a program that helped low income seniors with their medicare payment. And she certainly is low income. All she has is her SS payments and the help she gets from her kids. My parents never were very good at financial stuff, and with 6 kids, barely got by.
Anyway, our republican governor, and republican legislators decided that businesses were paying to many taxes and voted to reduce them. Well, the revenue had to come from somewhere, so one of the things they did was end the assistance program. So she isn't getting less, she just now has to pay for her medicare.
So once I got that figured out, we left for lunch at Applebee's. I had a hot roast beef sandwich with bacon and mushrooms that was delish, and Mom had the house sirloin and Craig had a cheeseburger and onion rings. Then it was over to the VFW for drinks and pull-tabs, which didn't go to good.  :-)
On the way back to her apartment, we stopped to get her some groceries. After putting her groceries away, getting her settled in with a Klondike bar, we headed back to Lansing, arriving safely.
On the way home, we stopped at a rest area. The Michigan dept. of Transportation runs the highway rest stops. This is the tiled floor in the entryway.

I like how they tiled the state in the floor.
And this morning, I have another 7am appointment with the physical therapist. I seem to be stuck in a no progress pattern. No worse, but not progressing either. I think it's time for another talk.
So time to go.

3 comments:

  1. time with your mum....I envy that :)

    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those days with Mom. And I'm ashamed of our governments that do not take care of those who need it the most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing they were able to get fancy tile put in instead of helping those in need.

    ReplyDelete