Monday, September 28, 2015

a rude awakening.

Good morning.
We were awakened last night by a loud popping noise, followed by our carbon monoxide detector going off.
Craig removed the carbon monoxide detector from the wall out side the bedroom to shut it off. We checked out the apartment, and couldn't find any reason for it going off. We're not using the furnace yet, and nothing else runs on natural gas. Then we heard occasional beeps from the smoke detector in the bedroom.
Took that apart to find this......

I've never seen a 9-volt battery explode  before. Even the other end is cracked. The explosion must have released some gas that set off the carbon monoxide detector. So we removed the battery, set it in the kitchen sink, and went back to bed.
Never heard of a Camelion battery before. Will replace it with an Energizer. Energizer and Duracell are the best rated and longest lasting batteries. I don't know why anyone would buy cheaper ones. And I think I'll ask the apartment management if they should replace that detector in case it was the detector that caused the battery to explode.
Anyway, The turkey on the grill yesterday  turned out great, along with the acorn squash and fingerling potatoes.
We walked another section of the river trail they completed last year. I need to remember to take my camera when we go out. Now that i don't have a yard, I'll need to find other things to take pics of.  :-)
And this morning is my appointment with the audioligist.
So time to get.

1 comment:

  1. Usually the only time you see batteries like that is when the item is purchased. I wonder how long it's been in the detector, or if they just bought a bunch and replace the whole thing?
    I've never seen a battery explode either. Glad you guys are okay.

    ReplyDelete

Newest posts are first. Scroll down on the right to see a list of Archive posts and also subject posts.