Newest posts are first. Scroll down on the right to see a list of Archive posts and also subject posts.

Monday, July 14, 2008

The little bastards!

This is one of my shrub roses. It is covered with small 2 inch flowers.

And this is whats happening to it! Those damn Japanese Beetles!Now they don't seem to like the flowers, just the leaves, but my Rugosa Roses, they eat the buds as fast as they form. I guess the only good thing about our cooler than normal spring, was that the beetles showed up later than usual, so I got to enjoy the roses for a little while.

And here's some more flowers they don't eat....

First up, a really cool flower, a Globe Centura, They look like little balls of sunshine!

A later blooming Pale Purple Clematis,

And a very pretty Cranesbil.

And more flowers later!

7 comments:

  1. We only have a wild rose bush on the new property and I have not noticed any beetle damage to it. I have noticed "beetle catchers" on some properties.

    I remember back in the 50's/60's how destructive those beetles were to the roses on my parent's property.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fortunately my roses had mostly quit blooming by the time they arrived this year. I haven't noticed as many. Pesky creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's nothing quite as lovely as your yard, but here's a few gladiolas that i shot this morning in our backyard:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/alewispdx/sets/72157594447479325/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Wayne..I really enjoy seeing the pictures of your flowers. They are so pretty! Too bad about the beetles...guess if I decide to do a bit more gardening in coming years I won't include roses. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:46 PM

    I despise those beetles, too. >:(
    Your yard still looks good though, bro. :)

    *hugs*

    Sis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bastards indeed! I've never seen them here in the south gulf coast area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have such a lovely garden and such great photos of your flowers!
    I hate hate hate Japanese beetles!
    I spent many a night by my roses and hollyhocks with a coffee can half full of soapy water, knocking those sucker off - until I got chickens! Those Japs didn't have a chance against chickens!!!

    ReplyDelete