Newest posts are first. Scroll down on the right to see a list of Archive posts and also subject posts.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

weekend in review

Good morning.
I got home yesterday from our usual shopping and such, got on the puter to check the weather, and this is what I saw for Lansing......
Seriously, 117! This was the NWS website. Obviously, an error that was quickly corrected when I refreshed the page.
Yesterday was our last of 5 mild days of temps in the upper 30's to low 40's. It was nice.  :-)
All the snow and ice are off the roof, and light snow is falling this morning.
We finally got a tree service company out for an estimate on removing the 2 trees severely damaged from the ice storm. To cut down, remove all the wood, and grind the stumps...$2,300.00.
It was a very reasonable estimate from what I've heard from customers at work. We'll have to wait until the snow is gone, as we will have to move the mo-ho from it's winter parking space so the trucks can get into the back yard. Not really a problem as the trees and branches aren't going anywhere, and There's really isn't much left up in the trees to come down should another ice storm happen. And since this was the worst ice storm we've had in the 28 years we've lived here, the odds are pretty good it won't happen again. Besides, it's now 2014. All our expensive bad luck happened in 2013, including the ice storm. Maybe 13 is an unlucky number.  :-\

Also, while we were out shopping at Menard's, I saw a display of led light bulbs. Now unless you've been hiding under a rock, you've heard that they are phasing out the 60 watt incandescent bulbs because they are such an energy waste. Well, I've put off switching because they are so damn expensive! I know they are suppose to last until I die, or 22 years, which ever comes first.  :-)
But I just couldn't justify the cost. So, we've got 4 rooms that use  60 watt, and the bulbs on the display were on sale for only $6.95 each. Very good price from what I've seen elsewhere, so I picked up a few to try.
I must say, for only 13 watts of energy use, the light looks just the same as an  incandescent.   :-)
And now, time to get ready for another week of work. It's looking to be a busy one.

3 comments:

  1. Just don't break one and be sure you dispose of them properly, as they are hazardous waste. Not as hazardous as CFL bulbs, but hazardous all the same.

    I have yet to find a bulb that lasts as long as they claim. Hopefully yours will!

    Stay warm! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LEDs are hazardous waste?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:32 AM

    117 degrees....lol.....been in Palm Springs CA at that degrees...I don't care how dry it was...its still freaking HOT.
    MikeInDallas

    ReplyDelete