Newest posts are first. Scroll down on the right to see a list of Archive posts and also subject posts.

Sunday, January 18, 2015

computer back-up and maintenance time

Good afternoon.
Well, it's January, so it must be computer back-up and maintenance time.
I do this every January, and so should you! It doesn't take more than an hour for everything.
First, back up all your files and favorite pages to a DVD disk  or flash drive. I have Firefox, so my favorite pages are called bookmarks. I save a list of the websites to a HTML document, and add that to the disk with all the pics and files I don't want to lose if my puter dies.
With that done, I turn off the puter, unplug it, and remove the cover...
There are usually 2-3 screws holding the cover on on the back.
Then the cover slides easily off and you can use canned air to blow out all the dust.

Here's my puter all cleaned out.
Then on to Craig's....
See how clogged full of dust it is behind the fan? I knew his was bad as his tower was very warm to the touch. For some odd reason, much worst than mine. It was running hot due to very little ventilation on the mother board. That could lead to hardware failure and a dead puter.

 Now here it is all cleaned out. I put the cover back on, plugged it in, turned it on, and now it runs cool to the touch. A disaster avoided.  :-)
And an interesting observation. I have a green mother board and Craig's is blue.
In other news.......
It was a busy week in the Salon. it was nice I didn't have to go in every day to clean floors as it was a dry week for a change.   :-)
The maintenance guys came Saturday to replace the front door. After a couple of hours of difficulty, it was decided that they needed to order a different door.  :-/
We've finally had a couple of days above freezing as temps yesterday hit near 40, and today has been near 37.  All the snow on the roof has melted, so I won't have to worry about ice dams for awhile.  :-)
That's it for now.

1 comment:

  1. We are sunny and dry till Thursday when we may get rain.
    How long till your next trip? Mom told me, but I forget... Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete